Catamount Community Radio - May 25, 2014
The bee buzzing on the other side of the screen was making it hard for me to get my morning beauty sleep. I'm pretty sure it was the same bee that was here yesterday. I had to figure out a way to get rid of it. What if it got in on the side where the cat had leaned on the screen and detached it from its moorings? It might sting me on the nose! So I tried clicking on it and dragging it to the trash. I tried twice ... No wonder it wouldn't go away: I wasn't deleting the bee; I was emailing it to myself as an attachment.
I decided to do a number show today. I did colors last Sunday; numbers this week. Maybe next week I'll just freeform it. Beyond the cover contest every tune had a something to do with numbers; e.g. "Three Little Words," "Two Sleepy People," "365 is my Number," etc. When I was a kid I was never really interested in numbers, but as an old weirdo, I've come to often think about their strange symmetries, the patterns and the mysteries of numbers. And I never made it past algebra.
If pi is infinite, it must contain within it every possible sequence of numbers, including your phone number and the numbers within each song I played. So, for example, within it somewhere is "593317365674976589123489105230001111910
I broke up the number-wang a couple times for the cover contest.
1. Soul Brothers Six did "Some Kinda Wonderful." Which rock 'n' roll band later had a hit with this number? - Grand Funk Railroad.
2. The Black Crowes had a hit with "Hard to Handle." Who is singing here the original version? - Otis Redding
3. George Thorogood had a hit with "One Bourbon, One Scotch and One Beer." Which blues great is singing it here? - John Lee Hooker
4. Who is covering "3 is a magic number"? - Jeff Tweedy. (I later played a snippet of the hip hop cover by De la Soul in case extra-credit points were needed.)
Dandy and Mary Ellen tie this week.
Catanmount Community Radio, Sunday mornings 10-12 (East Coast) on WWCU.
1. Paul Desmond – 59th St. Bridge Song (Feelin’ Groovy)
2. Stan Getz & Oscar Peterson – Three Little Words
3. Bob Dorough – 3 is a Magic Number
4. Janis Ian – At Seventeen
5. King Sunny Adé – 365 in my Number
6. Soul Brothers Six – Some Kinda Wonderful
7. Casandra Wilson – Seven Steps
8. Pee Wee King – 49 Women
9. Prince – Seven
10. Hank Thompson – Six-Pack to Go
11. Cornelius – Count five or six
12. Dámaso Pérez Prado – Mambo No. 5
13. Plastilina Mosh – Baretta 89
14. Feist – 1234
15. Otis Redding – Hard to Handle
16. Slim and Slam – 8, 9, and 10
17. B52s – 52 Girls
18. Dr. Octagon – 3000
19. Ray Price – Heartaches by the Number
20. Van Morrison – Cleaning Windows
21. Jimmie Rodgers – Brakeman’s Blues
22. John Lee Hooker – One Bourbon, One Scotch and One Beer
23. Moondog – From One to Nine
24. Raphael Saadiq – 100-Yard Dash
25. Jeff Tweety – 3 is a Magic Number
26. De La Soul – The Magic Number (1-2-3 Mix) (fragment)
27. Natasja – 45 Questions
28. Bob Seger System – 2+2=?
29. Fats Waller – Two Sleepy People
30. Ernst Reijseger/Franco D'Andrea – Two Colors