I was walking Roscoe yesterday, holding the leash with only one finger (so the other ten could rest - I have eleven so I can play Beatle chords) when the dog took off at a dead run. I didn't release, but I think I pulled about half the tendons in my hand. It only hurts when I move my fingers.
Today we went hoboing across this land of yours and mine. Chuck Berry:
I left my home in Norfolk Virginia
California on my mind
Straddled that greyhound, rode him past Raleigh
On across Caroline
Stopped in Charlotte and bypassed Rock Hill
And we never was a minute late
We was ninety miles out of Atlanta by sundown
Rollin' 'cross the Georgia state
We had motor trouble it turned into a struggle
Half way 'cross Alabama
And that 'hound broke down and left us all stranded
In downtown Birmingham
Straight off, I bought me a through train ticket
Ridin' 'cross Mississippi clean
And I was on that midnight flier out of Birmingham
Smoking into New Orleans
Somebody help me get out of Louisiana
Just help me get to Houston Town
There's people there who care a little 'bout me
And they won't let the poor boy down
Sure as you're born, they bought me a silk suit
Put luggage in my hands
And I woke up high over Albuquerque
On a jet to the promised land
Workin' on a T-bone steak a la carte
Flying over to the golden state
Oh, when the pilot told me us in thirteen minutes
He was headin' at the terminal gate
Swing low sweet chariot, come down easy
Taxi to the terminal zone
Cut your engines and cool your wings
And let me make it to the telephone
Los Angeles give me Norfolk Virginia
Tidewater four ten o nine
Tell the folks back home this is the promised land callin'
And the poor boy's on the line
Ah, and that Michigan water tastes like sherry wine. Yes, that Michigan water tastes like sherry wine. Mississippi water tastes like turpentine. Robert Plant told me there's a girl in California with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair.
Randy Newman, Louisiana 1927:
President Coolidge came down in a railroad train
With a little fat man with a note-pad in his hand
The President say, "Little fat man isn't it a shame what the river has done
To this poor cracker's land."
Tom Waits sang about his Jersey girl. Stars fell on Alabama. Bill Charlap played Leonard Bernstein's "Ohio" on the piano. In short, we covered a lot of ground.
It was just over a month ago that my brother and Maya heard Bobby Womack sing. Now he's dead. I played a little tribute to him today.
Mary Ellen and Jim Dandy tie in the cover contest.
1. Eric Alexander played the tune on his tenor. What is the tune and whose is it? - "She's Out of my Life," Michael Jackson.
2. What's the name of the tune, and who is playing it. The hint was it wasn't Bill Frisell, or Marc Ribot or Chester Atkins. - "Georgia" (or Georgia on my Mind") played by John Scofield.
3. Johnny Cash sang "Hidden Shame." Whose tune is it? - Elvis Costello's
4. Tom Waits sang his "Jersey Girl." Who famously covered it? - Bruce Springsteen.
No show next Sunday as Marco will be on the road. But I plan to get my radio on Sunday morning, July 20.
Catamount Community Radio, Sunday mornings 10-12 (Eastern Coast) on Power 90.5
1. Lord Creator – Such is Life
2. Chuck Berry – Promised Land
3. Count Basie – Indiana
4. Jimmie Rodgers – T for Texas
5. Jelly Roll Morton – Michigan Water Blues
6. Roy Hargrove – Evr’ybody Wants to be a Cat
7. Dr. John – Waiting for the Train
8. Adriana Calcanhotto – Cantada (depois de ter voce)
9. Andrew Hill – Mira
10. Eric Alexander – She’s Out of my Life
11. Sun Ra – State Street
12. Led Zeppelin – Going to California
13. John Scofield – Georgia
14. Bill Charlap – Ohio
15. Thelonious Monk – Bright Mississippi
16. Coleman Hawkins – Out of Nowhere
17. Randy Newman – Louisiana 1927
18. Bobby Womack – That’s the Way I Fell about ‘Cha
19. Ben Webster – Stars Fell on Alabama
20. Johnny Cash – Hidden Shame
21. Allen Toussaint – Going Places
22. The Staple Singers – Long Walk to D.C.
23. Bruce Springsteen – 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)
24. Tom Waits – Jersey Girl
25. Serge Gainsbourg – New York, USA
26. Miles Davis – New York Girl
27. Hall & Oates – Thank You For
28. Charlie Daniels – The Star-Spangled Banner
There's a dude in a Ford F-350 with a trailer (which I would imagine contains two Harley Davidson motorcycles) driving back and forth in the parking lot. Why, I don't know.